This post will be the start of a series of journal posts regarding the entire process of compiling the domain server and assignment client for High Fidelity on a Raspberry Pi, Model B. I figure this will be useful down the road and will be worth the articles.
Day 01 – QT5 in a Pi-shell
So, I finally have the domain server and assignment client running on Linux. Believe me, seeing this makes me happier than hell. I seriously have to give credit to Coal for the CentOS Setup script, which is making the process far easier. After reading it a few times, it is helping me understand the real libraries I need to run the domain server and assignment client, which the other tutorials follow how to compile the interface, which isn’t in my interest range for now.
My intended goal is to have a single domain server instance on one Pi, and have a sub network of Pis all running an assignment client for the main Pi, making a smooth pseudo-cluster network. After reviewing the requirements, this can’t be too hard to work out, but then again, this is also one of the first times I will have to cross compile something for another platform. The more you know, they say…
My first trench to cross is the QT5 library. For whatever reason, no one has made a repository of it yet. Joy. I have grown happy with CentOS for being a minimalistic OS and has been a joy to work with. Using the SAME VM of my primary domain server, I went ahead and began a cross compile… with an attempt to put all the libraries on another hard drive, being concerned how big the library would get. 10 minutes of insane CPU usage later (spare me from my sins, Corsair H110i…), I have everything set… or so I think. Observing how it is installing everything leaves me to believe that I may have goofed up trying to do everything in another location from the default location. I went ahead and wrapped up the process anyway, flashed the card, and hoped for the best.
And got tired and called it a night while the image file was being burned. Will check tomorrow to see how things go.